Saturday, September 4, 2010

Paris...oh Paris










By Karla Vadillo

When someone mentions Paris and their voyages there…they use terms as: "The City of Light", romantic, magic, amazing, stunning and so on. What would you do if you travelled there with these concepts in mind and things turned out quite different?

Last summer, I went to France after having visited UK. It was a huge and abrupt change for me. In London, my hosts were amazing, friendly, polite, and I could go on and on with compliments. The city was beautiful –for me- and one of my best friends and I, went all over the place. Promise to tell you everything about it in another occasion.

Arrived at the Eurostar station, printed the previously purchased ticket on line and boarded. It was fast…when we went below the channel I thought that my ears would explode from the pressure and we were almost immediately out in the open again. I always thought that would be a longer phase of the trip, with what you see and hear on the news and so on. No, to my surprise it was pretty fast.

A friend picked me up at the station in Paris. She took a little bit longer that I thought she would and I realized that I did not know the language and had no cash to call her. She arrived and I was pleased, a little surprised that she looked way older that I remembered. We graduated from college together and spent most of our senior year together. She was funny, life of the party, very intelligent, etc. and now, she studied a Masters Degree –which was no surprise for me- in Paris, lived with her boyfriend who studied a Doctorate and both were struggling a lot with their Mexican government scholarships.

They did not have time or the mood to show me around. Both had invited other friends to stay at their place, on the same dates that I was invited, and those guests had no willingness to share the space with me…at all. My hosts were pretty uncomfortable with the situation so I decided to be there the least possible. It was my first time abroad. I spoke very little to no French when I arrived and knew pretty much nothing about the city. I honestly did not know what was I doing there or why did I accept their kind and generous invitation.
My first day was the first Sunday of the month, which means: free museums all over Paris. I went to the Louvre with a baguette and a raspberry tart that I bought at a bakery on my way to the Metro before taking it as my host suggested. When I arrived to the museum, I ate my lunch before going in. Realized that most people tend to go to the crowded wings of this museum so I went the other way and avoided crowds. It was a “wow” experience all the way. Nothing compares to seeing the paintings, sculptures, etc. live than in a classroom presentation or a book. Even if it is a very good picture, there is simply no way to compare being there.
Walked all the way from the Louvre to Champs Elysées and found one of the several kiosks of the Paris Convention and Visitors Bureau…this was a trip saver for me. Visiting Paris on my own was not my idea of fun, at least at first. I felt lonely, a total stranger and the one place I had reference of –Lenótre Culinary school- was closed for vacations. Quite normal because August was starting and that is customary in Paris. Let me tell you that having too many guests at one time is normal too. Flats are quite small; hotels are too expensive, so it is acceptable to have a crowded place with guests sleeping everywhere: floor, sofa, bed, etc.

One useful advice my friend gave me was: always say “Bonjour” (hello) to a local, when you arrive at their store, restaurant, etc. or they will feel offended by you. If you speak Spanish, I strongly recommend you to use it first. If you forgot your Spanish, try to speak French and if that is no good, proceed to use English. Keep this in mind. If they see you making the effort, they will treat you well as they did with me. It is my best wish. One of my college teachers kindly told us this and it works.

Paris is a great city to learn their language if you are willing to and staying a lot of days, like I was. Stayed twenty days and I noticed a difference in my accent, helped me understand their language, culture and habits more. Instead of the trip turning into a nightmare, taking the small books at the Paris Conventions and Visitors Bureau kiosk called: Paris for You! and Paris Gourmand! made a huge difference for my Paris experience. I could check the suggestions about museums, shopping malls, restaurants, tours, etc.

Now, you need to be careful and a bit guarded at all times. You might ran into too many people -some dressing in a weird way others in a gypsy kind of way- that walk straight up to you and ask you if you speak English. Always, I mean always, either avoid replying and walk faster or just say no. Forget those nice, gentle and polite tourist manners while walking on the streets and underground (Metro) in Paris, please. I saw several ladies throwing gold rings on the floor in front of a distracted tourist, and then coming towards them to pick it up again and ask that tourist if the ring belonged to them. Always say no and avoid trying to find the owner.

Going back to nicer part of the trip, I had visited too many museums (D´Orsay, Louvre, l´Orangerie, Musée Du Vin, Arab World Institute) and must see places like Notre Dame, Arc of Triumph, Pláce Vendóme, Montmartre, Champs Elyseés –back and fourth- found a little chain of restaurants with affordable tea for 1 euro and a nice and clean bathroom called Quick to avoid going into a Mc Donald’s. My friends in London had begged me to stay away from one, to try new places. I fulfilled my promise and tried different places which turned out pretty good.
Mono Prix and other stores ending with the word Prix are like Seven Eleven, with a French twist. You can buy affordable food, deliciously amazing food for a reasonable prize. Boulangeries (bakeries) are a must too and try different ones to get several styles of them. We –my friend and guests- preferred to go the ambulant farmers market and buy food, nice and affordable vegetables to make our own baguettes and enjoy them after a visit to a museum, art exhibit, etc. When my feet got way tired, I decided to take some classes. Since Lenótre was not meant to be in my class schedule then, I looked up other places and to my surprise, Le Cordon Bleu was open in August, with a special 2 for the price of 1 demonstrations.

Le Cordon Bleu turned out to be 15 minutes walk away from where I was staying or a 5 minutes trip by bus. My friend kindly helped me schedule two classes, we thought they only spoke French and gladly found they are English speaking too. Took them and decided to take two more. I had already went to Disneyland Paris so had a pending second visit or I would have probably taken two more. Could not get enough! They had a very nice lady from Atlanta GA translating for the French Chef that gave the demonstrations and guests like me, shared classes with alumni of the intermediate level of Le Grand Diplóme a course that includes three levels of cuisine and three levels of patisserie (bakery).

If someone had told me the vacations that I thought would turn into a huge and unfortunate mistake, were going to turn this good…I would have not believed them. Made great friends at Le Cordon Bleu, ran into a couple of them at the Metro and then at Chateau Du Versailles (what are the odds!) and they persuades me to stay to the summer fireworks, music and light show. I am glad I accepted, it was simply...superb!
I decided to travel Reims for a day by train. Visited the champagne house of Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin there. My friend had helped me booked the day before from Paris that included an impressive visit to their cellars (some employees last 40 or more years there) and we tasted Veuve Clicquot Rosé which I did not like that much to be honest, a little to acid for me. I enjoyed the marketing involving the concept of bubbly there, the corporate image of the company, etc. Reims was going through a remodeling process to install a small train like Bordeaux has. Therefore, I strongly recommend arriving there way before your appointment at a champagne house to be on time.
Disneyland Resort Paris was simply amazing it is outside Paris, arriving by RER (train) to Marne-La Vallée-Chessy station. Had heard stories during my college years that starting was rough but they do not give updates. They always keep in mind that it was a failure and it is not. The two parks –Walt Disney Studios Parc and Disneyland Paris- was full, magical and successful even during the hottest day of the summer which was one of the two days I visited them. The food was delicious; the attitude of the employees varies a bit which is also interesting to experience.
I could probably go on and give you further details but I honestly prefer to wish that you are able to visit Paris soon, so you are able to have your
own amazing experience. Bon voyage!

























No comments:

Post a Comment